Lacombe Lake Park
Client City of St. Albert
Location St. Albert | Alberta
EDA was retained by the City of St. Albert as the Landscape Architectural Consultant for the upgrading of Lacombe Lake Park. The main goal for the upgrading of this popular community park was to make the lake more accessible to a more diverse group of users. This challenge was met with a plan to reduce the grade around the perimeter of the lake to mitigate erosion and allow accessibility to the water’s edge. The south shore was completely reshaped to create a small cove with a curvilinear concrete stair stepping into the water – providing seating for viewing of activities on and around the lake, and access for skaters in the winter. At either end of the cove step is a lookout point elevated a metre off the water surface, which is connected to timber boardwalks that complete the hard surface edge of the south shore.
In the second phase of development, EDA worked with architects to complete the design and construction of a unique earth shelter-style warm up and washroom building. Trail connections linking the park with the Red Willow Park trail system were also completed.
Project elements included:
- Lake Edge Grading and Naturalization
- Trail and Rest Node Improvements
- Washroom Skate Change Building
- Concrete Cove and Seating Steps
- Boardwalk and Plaza Development
- Decorative Site Lighting and Furniture
- Heavy Timber Step Seating Area
- Site Landscaping and Naturalization
- Skating Area Flood Lighting